If vegetables looked this good growing up, I probably would have ate a lot more of them. Growing up, my brothers and I NEVER ate vegetables. We were so picky. Now a days, I eat just about everything and most of the time prefer vegetables. This Grilled Vegetable Medley is perfect for a summer cookout, or even for a quick weeknight dinner. Most of my quick weekly vegetables are seasoned with a few herbs, EVOO, and salt and pepper! It’s so simple & easy, and sometimes thats exactly what I need in order to stay on track.
As a rule of thumb, I put the the vegetables that need more time on the grill first. In this case, they were the rainbow carrots. Then the baby bell peppers, onions, and finally the asparagus.
These grilled vegetables are super versatile, they can be used as sides at a cookout or even incorporated into a breakfast omelette! I used the left over peppers and onions in a breakfast omelette. I just chopped them up and sprinkled them into the pan one morning at breakfast! You can actually see how I featured the vegetables in one of my breakfast bowl on Instagram! Go peep the IG!
MEAL PREP IDEA!
Prepare my Whole Roasted Chimichurri Chicken and this Grilled Vegetable Medley. The whole roasted chicken should make about 4-6 servings of chicken and then just divi up the grilled vegetables into your meal prep containers. Its a great combo. Then if you want to take it a step further, reserve the backbone and bones from whole chicken and use them to make chicken soup, or a knock-off chicken pho!
I guess this would be a good time to introduce Cocoa. This is Cocoa, my chocolate lab. She loves booty rubs and anything involving food… Whenever I’m shooting food pictures she’s ALWAYS… right there^^… waiting. This is actually how I figured out that she prefers grilled carrots. She’ll just leave them if they’re raw.
Anyways… Healthy eating doesn’t have to be mundane, repetitive, or bland. This recipe is just an example of how a few simple pantry ingredients and fresh vegetables can come together to make a very flavorful and vibrant dish.
Grilled Vegetable Medley Recipe
- 1lb of asparagus, wood stems snapped off
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1in rounds
- 3 bell peppers, cut in quarters
- 3 cups of baby carrots
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Lightly toss the vegetables in some extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Working in batches, grill the vegetables until tender and lightly charred all over. Starting with the baby carrots which will take about 8 to 10 minutes, 7 minutes or so for the bell peppers and onions, and about 4 minutes for the asparagus!
- Serve hot off the grill or at room temperature!
If you’d like, you can dress these grilled vegetables with a simple vinaigrette after taking them off the grill! This really brightens the taste of the vegetables!
Basic Italian Vinaigrette Recipe
- 3 Tbs of Balsamic Vinegar
- 2Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp of freshly chopped Basil
- 1 1/2 tsp of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Whisk the 2 tablespoons of oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley, and basil in a small bowl. Drizzle the herb mixture over the vegetables. Serve the vegetables, warm or at room temperature.
NOTE: I purposely didn’t include salt and pepper in the vinaigrette because the vegetables were already seasoned. However, if you’re using this vinaigrette in another recipe, add Salt & Pepper to taste!
Comment, Share, Love on the blog posts!
Follow me on Instagram to stay up to date with ADB’s postings!